Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No Bad News, March 2011

Ahh, where to begin? The good news or the bad news, that’s always the question, isn’t it?

Actually, there isn’t any actual bad news, not really, so how’s that for being lucky?



Good news – DeVante’s Coven will be available as an ebook from Queer Mojo, an imprint of Rebel Satori Press – maybe as early as next week.

The least good news is that DeVante’s Children has gone out of print with Torquere Press. This isn’t bad news. Torquere did offer to extend my contract, but the book has been contracted with Queer Mojo, updated, and is scheduled to be re-issued in paperback and electronic formats on May 1, 2011.

I know, I know, I should have held an auction (as if!). Heehee. See? No bad news.

Now, technically DeVante’s Children is the first book of the series, although it’s being released second in the trilogy – sort of like a prequel (in case you prefer to read in chronological order).

How did that happen? Well, I’m glad you asked…

DeVante’s Children was accepted by Torquere as an ebook, which was yay, such an amazing, exciting day in the life of me, an unpublished author. Truly. Awesome day. I totally remember what I was doing the very moment I read that email. My daughter was flying a kite for the first time at a local waterfront park. It was a day of firsts for each of us. She was the first person I told, and we did the happy dance together. That was awhile ago… June 2008, I believe.

Meanwhile, the sassy and very naughty sequel, DeVante’s Coven, was languishing in a year-long contest sponsored by Rebel Satori Press. I started to panic because the contest was for unpublished writers, and by the time I won grand prize (!), I had a contract with Torquere, and I was afraid I’d be disqualified. But I reviewed the contest rules and found I was safe.

So then I worried… what if I won? How would it work to have the first book be with one publisher and the second with another?

The reality was even more confounding: Yes, I was one of three grand prize winners. Yes, I would be published by two different publishers. Definitely not bad news for an unpublished writer! DeVante’s Children was released as an ebook in February 2009, and DeVante’s Coven came out in paperback in October 2009. Two books, two publishers, one year.

Oy. It’s hard to wrap my own head around, much less explain to anyone.

Ultimately, Rebel Satori offered me a three book contract to create a DeVante trilogy in paperback, although they will now also be offered as ebooks, in consideration of the growing market.

The word “trilogy” is synonymous with the word “orgasm” in my writer’s brain, just so you know.

Talk about something NOT being bad news.

So that’s the story. And don’t think that I’ve severed my relationship with Torquere Press – I absolutely have not. The people at Torquere are great to work with, and my erotic BDSM novel, Above the Dungeon, is still available there. And maybe they’ll accept a sequel. It could happen!

There you go. No bad news.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, sounds great! I do Indie Reviews if you want to follow back on my blog. alchemyofscrawl.blogspot.com

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coral, I will defeinitely follow back, and get you something to review! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lots of good news! Big congratulations!

    ReplyDelete