Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Proud musings…



DSCN0449We had our local Pride celebration last weekend, and, near as I can tell, a good time was had by all.
Attendance at the daytime park gathering seemed a bit low this year, which could be due to several factors. One was scattered thunderstorms in the forecast, although the day was mostly sunny, with just one short instance of rain, which made the temperature perfect.

Also, despite this being the 25th anniversary of our Pride event, it didn’t seem as heavily advertised as it has been in the past.

And finally, I hear the road construction between here and the Twin Cities is nightmarish, and in past year our event has drawn a great deal of people from surrounding areas, including Minneapolis and St. Paul.

But still. It was a beautiful day in Bayfront Park.

The great stage was home to several performers. I wish I could introduce you to them all, but somehow I neglected to pick up a Pride Guide this year, and to tell you the truth, I was busy talking to people and didn’t manage to follow the stage patter. My bad.

DSCN7510
DSCN7527
DSCN7530

The grounds filled with information booths, craft vendors, and rainbow schwag.

DSCN7550
DSCN7536

And food! Ah, yes, don’t forget the food!

I had caramel apple strudel with cinnamon ice cream for breakfast, and sweet crunchy kettle corn for lunch. Had I heard of it earlier, I might have had a bacon-wrapped deep-fried hot dog, but alas, I didn’t have room.

I shared a booth with the local alternative newspaper, the Zenith City Weekly, and when I wasn’t chatting with people, I took pictures of the park, the people, and for sure the pets…

DSCN7542
DSCN7507
DSCN7512
DSCN7521
The guys above came to the park with a macaw (perched on the chair) a cockatiel (I think) on the shoulder of the guy on the right, and a boston terrier. I asked, “Don’t you worry that someone else’s dog might try to attack them?” The answer was, “That’s my 2nd worry. My 1st is that a hawk will dive down and steal one of them.”

Yikes! I would have never thought of that! There was another lady with a bird, too, that rode in a back-pack pet carrier, perch an all. Way cool. (Click the pet-pack pic below for more info on this kind of product).

pet pack

What I found myself thinking was this: There’s nothing here to be afraid of.

Just people.

We happen to be Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Trans, Queers, Allied or Intersex. But mostly we’re just people. We all have our good sides, our crabby days, our fat days. Days in which we love ourselves and every one else, and days where we hate everybody, including ourselves.

DSCN7518

There were same-sex couples holding hands (women more often than men), men dressed as women, woman so butch it was hard to tell they were women. There were young people reveling in the chance to be here and be queer. There were rainbows and rainbows and rainbows.

DSCN7523
DSCN7551
DSCN7532
DSCN7544
DSCN7549

Thanks for visiting my blog Darlings! Happy Thursday!

And Happy Pride. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment