Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How to get ready to release a book…


Hello and Happy Thursday!



Typically, my October is all about getting ready for NaNoWriMo – the challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in just one month – that begins on November 1st.

Autumn makes me desperately sad, but Nano saves me every year, because by the time I look up to see the world again, the furnace has kicked on and there might even be snow on the ground, and I have survived another transition from summer to winter.

November is the one month of the year that I get to concentrate on new materiel. Raw words, no editing, and characters who do crazy and unexpected things at will.



It’s so different from the novel polishing I’m doing today.

Part of my preparation is polishing up Out of the Dungeon, the sequel to Above the Dungeon.  I’m going out on my own. It might be a terrible idea, but then again, the book might be too edgy even for a traditional e-publisher. I’ve said that I like to push limits.

Above the Dungeon cover

I’m planning the release for October 30th, 2011. Which is kind of fitting, because Out of the Dungeon is last year’s NaNo novel.

I would tell you, my readers, that polishing a novel is fun, but it would be a lie. It is tedious, but oddly satisfying.

Polishing is making sure the chapter numbers are in sequential order. It’s making sure that my characters don’t cuss needlessly, or at the very least, that their cussing is in character. It’s using the “find” feature of MS Word to search for every –ly ending, with a personal goal of eliminating 2/3 of them. Because really, how many reallys do you need, really?

I had a little cover photo shoot, and I’m hoping  the cover will look something like this (with the title and my name added, of course):



Polishing is verifying that all storylines have satisfying endings. If they don’t, I have a little less than a month to tie their loose ends into neat little bows. Sounds gratifying, doesn’t it, a bit like writing new materiel? But it’s not, not really. The characters have done what I asked them to do, but sometimes resolution occurs in my head and never quite makes it to the keyboard. It’s my job to notice that and get it done.

That being said, I’m going to get back to it.

Happy Thursday, darlings!

PS. still smoke free, if anyone is interested. And still totally hate it. But if I give up now, I’ll just have to start the suffering over again later, and who needs that?

No comments:

Post a Comment