Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday Tribute - Jeff Mann

Bear Bones books

I read a titillating and lovely little book over the past couple of days called Fog by Jeff Mann.

Fog pushes the limits, and OMG, I always love that sort of thing.

I even wrote an Amazon review, and I don't do that very often.

What's really interesting to me is the lack of criticism for non-consent among reviewers so far. Fog is BDSM in the raw - we're talking kidnapping, total non-consensual bondage and dominance. Oh, yeah, not to mention rape.

I don't have a problem with the subject matter. As I said, I love pushing the limits myself, writing on the edge, going where others don't dare to go. Fantasy is fantasy, after all. But several people who reviewed Above the Dungeon complained that there was a lack of clear consent on the part of the submissive. That the submissive was "forced" to do things that pushed his limits.

Well... yes, actually. Sort of.

But only to the point at which the submissive was willing to leave the relationship. He always had choice about that. And doesn't that, then, imply consent?

Fog's submissive character is bound and gagged, raped, and marked with the sharp blade of a knife. It obviously has reviewers of a different sort than my Above the Dungeon did. Some of my Dungeon reviewers would lose their ever-loving minds at this level of non-consent. And, of course, a lot of publishers wouldn't touch this book with a fifty foot pole.

So I'm giving kudos to Mann, for a story that pushes limits, and to Lethe Press, for being willing to take it on. And as for the character Al's little fantasy about Tim McGraw - well, Mann treads where even I would not dare to go. And for that I give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment