Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tuesday Tribute–Emanuel Xavier

Smashwords profile

Need to get this posted before Tuesday is over!

Emanuel Xavier is a gay Latino poet. I claim him as a friend, but the truth is I met him only briefly at the 2010 Saints and Sinners Literary Festival. I think I fell a little bit in love.

Manny is friendly, adorable, open, and not three feet taller than me (grin – that’s always exciting for me).



From left: Manny, guy who writes poetry in the street (I think, and dang, wish I could remember his name because that is totally cool), me, Sven Davisson, and Louis Flint Ceci.

Buy at Smashwords
I have two of his books, and although I am not gay, Latino, or male, some of his poetry gives me that little shift inside – you know, that shiver of recognition, the way great poetry does.

Today is a significant day for Emanuel Xavier:

“After surviving so many challenges in life, it was only six years ago on this day that my life seemingly changed. I'm glad to be here in spite of the scar on the back of my head which I've gotten used to and constantly having to remind people I am deaf in my right ear. Sometimes I think it sucks and wonder what life would be like otherwise but I've never been anything close to 'normal' anyway and the cliche says that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Yeah, I had a shitty childhood and tough adolescence, not to mention taking quite a beating as an adult, blah, blah, blah, but it really does get better. You just gotta keep fighting back and never give up.”

Xavier talking about living as a homeless youth on Signified episode 3.

Watch Xavier's video - Legendary, (the e-mix)

Manny is a beautiful man who has beautiful words.

Visit Emanuel Xavier on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment