Thursday, December 15, 2011

Today

Someone asks the date, and someone else answers. And there comes a tiny whisper from deep inside my heart: Happy Birthday.

And it startles me, almost physically, and then I laugh at how young we were and how much I loved you. And at the same instant a song starts running through my head, a song that hasn't passed through my mind in more than twenty years:

Maybe I hang around here, a little more than I should, we both know I have somewhere else to go, but I got something to tell you, that I never thought I would, but I believe you really ought to know.... I love you. I honestly love you.


You don't have to answer, I see it in your eyes. Maybe it was better left unsaid. But this is pure and simple, and you must realize, it's coming from my heart and not my head... I love you. I honestly love you.


I'm not trying to make you feel uncomfortable - I'm not trying to make you anything at all, but this feeling doesn't come along every day, and you shouldn't blow the chance when you've got the chance to say... I love you, I honestly love you.


Now if we both were born in another place and time, this moment might be ending in a kiss. But there you are with yours, and here I am with mine, so I guess we'll just be leaving it at this... I love you. I honestly love you. I honestly love you. (Olivia Newton-John)

And my smile is a little sad, a little melancholy, but I know even though I didn't go where I planned, I've ended up exactly where I need to be. Life is funny that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment