Monday, January 9, 2012

Bloody Monday - The Lost Boys (film, 1987)




My apologies for the lateness of Bloody Monday today - vodka and romance took over last evening, and browsing the grocery store with grandma kept me busy for way too much of the morning.


But now I am here! And I'm taking you all with me on another trip down memory lane, because what vampire-lover doesn't love the Lost Boys?


Michael is hot, David is scary, Star is both beautiful and melancholy. The Frog Brothers are comic-book hysterical.


What's not to love, right?


Oooh, and remember Max, the totally creepy head vampire? I don't know about you guys, but Edward Hermann (the actor who played Max) has creeped me out in every role since. And he had that scary dog, Thornn.





Michael and Sam's mom - Lucy, is so well-meaning but naive that it makes me cringe - the perfect parent for a teen adventure. All this stuff is going on, and she's like, "Oh, you boys are so silly. I'm going on my date now with the owner of the video store, so please don't Don't interrupt with drama." (That's not a movie quote, just my general impression of the character, btw).


Keifer Sutherland makes one of the scariest vampires, ever, doesn't he? And he has the perfect blend of recklessness and arrogance - come on, Michael, drink the wine. You know you want to...


Typically, I'm rooting for the vampires, right? But Lost Boys really ends up kind of ambiguous - because the Frog brothers are so fearsome and nuts, and Sam's so sweet and terrified, and then Star is soooo torn about the whole vampire thing that you know she needs saving - she's just under David's spell and can't seem to think for herself. And so of course Michael falls under her spell... And you want the family saved, but man, the vampires are cool...


Another pic of Michael, because damn, the man looks fine in shades. Even dorky shades.






Here are the Frog Brothers:




















Star and Laddie


















More pics:






















All right, so here are my kick-off questions: In what odd manner did this particular pack of vampires spend their days? 


What's your favorite scene/concept about The Lost Boys?


And, as if you'd forget - what was Grandpa's quote at the end of the movie, and why was it so funny?


Here's the original movie trailer: (voice-over is either Don LaFontaine, who was from my home town, or comedian Pablo Francisco who does impersonations of Don LaFontaine). Anywhoo. Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. Nobody came to play, but that's okay - I'm a writer, so I'm used to playing all by myself and having a grand time.

    The odd daytime behavior of these vampires is that they hang upside down in a cave - like human bats. Quite unique to this film, I do believe.

    I'll add Grandpa's quote to the comments tomorrow unless someone beats me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool film. One of the best vampire movies of all time.

    Best scene is hard to pick. So many classic moments including the final confrontations, hanging off the bridge, motorbiking to the ocean and they even had a poster of Jim Morrison on the cave wall. How cool is that?

    Grandpa's quote at the end I believe was something like "The one thing about Santa Clara I could never stand, all the goddamn vampires!"

    Great movie. Sorry you had no further comments :(

    Mine's five months too late but better late than never, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always better late than never, David! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete