Monday, April 23, 2012

SM Johnson ~Bloody Monday~ Gray Justice


Nope, not Fifty Shades of Grey. Not yet.

Right now I am reading Gray Justice by Alan McDermott. I had no idea what to expect when I picked it up, but so far, so great!

It's pretty dark. One of those books that, while you're reading, you wonder how the Main Character will ever survive the huge mess he's put himself into. But since this is subtitled "Tom Gray #1" - I have to think that somehow Gray IS going to get out of the mess. I still can't imagine how.

Speaking of revenge fantasies (because that is what I'm speaking of), I went into the grocery store this afternoon to order a cake (only to discover the bakery isn't staffed at 2 PM) and walked out with a Jack Reacher novel.

The Reacher fan that lives inside my evil little heart absolutely LOVES a good, hard revenge fantasy, and Lee Child does a tremendous job. Hanging with Reacher feels like being told a great story by an exceptionally calm, cool, and collected friend.

Revenge fantasies are one of the best reasons I can think of to write fiction - you can get your revenge, even if only in your imagination. And even when it's only in your imagination, it can be shockingly satisfying.

So, darlings, tell me your favorite fictional revenge fantasy.

How's that for a stellar start to your week?




2 comments:

  1. I cut my revenge fantasy teeth on Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan, The Executioner stories when I was about 10 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was going to be more to the above comment, but my cloud chair is so comfortable that I fell asleep. LOL.

    My all-time favorite revenge fantasy is Lee Child's Die Trying http://www.leechild.com/dietrying.php. I love all Child's Jack Reacher novels, but in this one, Reacher faces and overcomes a phobia, and the character growth is amazing. And, of course, the part where he kicks ass all over the bad guys is pretty amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete