Monday, July 9, 2012

SM Johnson ~Bloody Monday~ Something Wicked...

Read reviews on Amazon
...is coming to my mailbox, and I can hardly wait!



I have been pining to read this baby for quite a long time, but the Kindle price has continued to scare me off.


So I made some decisions that will be changing the way that I buy books.



One of the good things about buying Amazon physical books is that if you're willing to spend $25 in one shot, and if you're willing to wait, the SuperSaver shipping option is free.


Now... it's not instant gratification - not the way having a book delivered to my Kindle is, but for most physical books, I'm really okay with that.


As I lamented a short time back in a Thursday Morning Coffee post, I feel very frustrated that when I buy from Amazon for Kindle, I don't really own anything real. I pay to read a story, and some stories I can lend to one of my friends, one time. But the Kindle file isn't really MINE, according to the copyright page, and I'm not supposed to borrow it to all my friends, even one at a time. 


I can archive the books and re-read them at a later date, but... meh. 


I don't do a whole lot of re-reading. Generally, once I read a book, I'm pretty much done with it. Unless it absolutely blows me away. 


And if something blows me away, I want the hardcover or paperback physically in my hands, because it's so much easier to skim pages, flip back and forth, and re-read passages. Besides that, when I really love a book, it's like a love affair, and I want to hold it and stroke it and cradle it and sigh with satisfaction.


Yeah, I'm a book geek, I admit it.


And because I'm a book geek, long ago (when my husband refused to build shelves on every wall of every room in the house) I had to make some rules about a)which books I buy, and b) which books I keep. These "rules" encourage me to check my library before making purchases. They also encourage me to purchase only books that I love.


My love of my Kindle kind of changed that policy - I purchase a lot more books these days. And I purchase quite a number of books that are, well, meh.


The Kindle price of Wicked As They Come is $7.99. The paperback price is $7.99.


Hence, my new policy on buying books:


Given the option of buying a story or a physical book, I'm going to buy the physical book.


If I love it, I will already own it.


If I merely like it, or even if I dislike it, I can donate it to my local library, and give many people the option of loving it, liking it, or disliking it.


With so many Kindle books the same price as paperback, and with the option of free shipping, it feels like win-win.


Personally - I KNOW that ebooks are much cheaper to produce than physical books, so charging the same price for an ebook as for a paperback really feels like I'm getting screwed, and not at all in a pleasurable way.


So fine. I'm pushing back, and that's that. Sell me a story at a discounted price. Otherwise, sell me an actual book.


Wicked As They Come has 30 5-star, 12 4-star, and 4 3-star reviews on Amazon. Here's the back-of-the-book teaser:


Have you ever heard of a Bludman? They’re rather like you and me—only more fabulous, immortal, and mostly indestructible. (They’re also very good kissers.)


Delilah S. Dawson’s darkly tempting debut drops her unsuspecting heroine into a strange faraway land for a romantic adventure that’s part paranormal, part steampunk . . . and completely irresistible.

When Tish Everett forces open the ruby locket she finds at an estate sale, she has no idea that a deliciously rakish Bludman has cast a spell just for her. She wakes up in a surreal world, where Criminy Stain, the dashing proprietor of a magical traveling circus, curiously awaits. At Criminy’s electric touch, Tish glimpses a tantalizing future, but she also foresees her ultimate doom. Before she can decide whether to risk her fate with the charming daredevil, the locket disappears, and with it, her only chance to return home. Tish and Criminy battle roaring sea monsters and thundering bludmares, vengeful ghosts and crooked Coppers in a treacherous race to recover the necklace from the evil Blud-hating Magistrate. But if they succeed, will Tish forsake her fanged suitor and return to her normal life, or will she take a chance on an unpredictable but dangerous destiny with the Bludman she’s coming to love?

And here's a guest blog by the author, Delilah Dawson on a blog called Dark Faerie Tales, with an excerpt and everything.


I'll let you know if it's love, meh, or dislike - maybe even by next Monday.


Have a great week, Darlings!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! And yes, let us know, I might grab a copy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post a sort of a review on Monday. Although I won't *call* it a review. LOL. Because I'm an author. I'm not supposed to share my opinion about books. Oh, wait, maybe I'm just not supposed to share my opinion about books I don't like. Is that it? It's so hard to keep track. As if anyone really gives a shit about MY taste in reading anyway. Silly Authors, reviews are for readers.

    ReplyDelete