Monday, August 13, 2012

SM Johnson ~Bloody Monday~ Cable Culture

Wow, I almost forgot to give Monday some love. I think because yesterday felt like Monday, with the hubby running off to work right away in the morning.

Today is my mom's 70th birthday - go mom! Hard to believe considering she doesn't look a day over 61.

Since I have read absolutely nothing good lately, I thought I'd talk about cable culture, and what we've been watching, and minimally, what I think of them.



Kitchen Sofa blog
So. Weeds. Sunday night on Showtime.

This series has been something else again, with Nancy Botwin getting her family in and out of all sorts of trouble. Last season ended with Nancy lying in a hospital bed in a coma after being shot in the head. Dun-dun-dun-dunnnnnnn.

Who shot Nancy? It might have been a "who shot JR" sort of meme, but I gotta tell you - I don't know if the writers have changed or what, but this season has so far been a complete bore.

The Botwins were a lot more interesting when they were drug dealers. And I guess that's about all I have to say about the current season of Weeds. I hardly even remember to watch it. Click the Kitchen Sofa caption for a more comprehensive look at Season 8.

Image from IMDb
Switching over to HBO, we're watching The Newsroom. Pretty damn good, actually. I accidentally got sucked into this while my husband was watching it. There's seems to be some adolescent love-triangle stuff going on, "No, I like him. I don't like-like him. You go out with him. I swear on the bible I don't like-like him." etc.

About the show - here's HBO's about the show page. Significantly, it comes to us via the creators of The West Wing and Social Network.

The newsy parts are stellar, and the tension builds fast when there's a breaking story and they're 30 seconds from going on live, but can't get confirmation of their information. This one is highly based on real events, the killing of Osama bin Laden, the shooting of Representative Gabrielle Giffords - we get a whole new view of the news, and it's pretty fascinating. Or as the poster says at the top (which you can't read)... More as the story develops.

Image from TV Equals
On STARZ, the husband is watching Camelot. I'm not really watching it. I listened to the full Mists of Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradly (Wiki link) back when I keyed mail for the US Post Office, and I pretty much got my fill of the whole King Arthur thing. It was a good story. And Camelot is doing fine holding the hubby's attention, so it must not be too terrible. Actually, I think he's just watching it as a placeholder for Showtime's The Borgias. That's the one he's really liking, but we're in the off season right now. I've been watching it with him, but I actually do have some trouble with the ruthless betrayal and endless scheming, but of course, that makes for fine television, now doesn't it?

Finally - for my recent pop-culture education... (of old pop-culture stuff - LOL, gotta stay behind the times, I guess).

While editing IzzyG videos, I discovered that I needed to listen to or watch something to make it a bit less tedious. So I dialed up Netflix through the PS3, and watched the Justin Bieber documentary, Never Say Never.

Don't laugh. It was really fun. I can recommend it unreservedly as pure entertainment. Stardom came knocking on Justin's door, and took him for a nice little ride. And Bieber's music is a lot less annoying in the movie than it was when all I was hearing was one song, over and over, at full volume from IzzyG's boom box.

The other past pop culture thing I caught myself up on was High School Musical. Yeah, wow. Yikes. This was a Disney flop, as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad we skipped all the merch when it was out. I thought it was just... meh. Lame.

All right, there you go. From drugs to news to murder and betrayal to insta-fame to Disney.

Damn. Now that's a blog post.

I hope the week is kind to you, darlings. See you Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment