Monday, August 27, 2012

SM Johnson ~Bloody Monday~ True Blood?

Image from eonline
So, in the interest of my life being crazy, I thought I'd pose the question...

Do you watch True Blood?



I was never able to get into the books, and the TV series hasn't captured me either.

I'd love to hear from vampire fans - if you do watch it, what is it about the series that engages you?

And how come I don't get it?

I love Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, I love Anne Rice's vampires, I like some of Kim Harrison's Witch books, I tolerated the Twilight trilogy, umm.... I don't know. True Blood has a huge following, so I feel like I'm missing something.

What am I missing?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you're missing anything...I liked the books, at least the first 6-7, but it was definitely in the realm of what I'd consider pure entertainment, not a lot of substance beyond the soap opera and sex variety. The TV show, I really wanted to like, but at the risk of sounding like a jerk, Anna Paquin just bugs the crap out of me. Further, the Sookie Stackhouse in the books wasn't as whiny and saccharine sweet, and she didn't pose every statement as a question, either. I actually thought she was a much stronger and more confident character, overall, even within the auspices of pretty fluffy books. That may not be the actresses fault, but the whole batting her eyes thing she does gets on my nerves, so I finally gave up on the show when I found myself skimming through it for some kind of plot development. I did really like what they did with a few characters on the show, however, including the gay cook and her brother to some extent. And the guy they have playing Eric Northman worked pretty well, even though he's kind of skinny for the role, at least how the character is portrayed in the book.

    So yeah, while I liked the first handful of books okay, I can see how they might leave you cold. I don't think you're missing anything, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, maybe it's the Anna Paquin thing. She really seems kind of vapid and vacant. Part of it for me, is that there ended up to be too many characters for me to keep track of. But yes, love the gay cook - totally!

    ReplyDelete