Thursday, November 29, 2012

SM Johnson ~Thursday Morning Coffee ~ Stuff I would do

Good morning, and welcome to Thursday Morning Coffee!

Our house has been like the sick bay of an old Star Trek television episode. Actually, I barely remember what the sick bay looks like, so I don't know why I said that except it sounds somewhat more humorous than my actual feelings about the topic.

Because I'm a dunderhead, I stare at IzzyG in groggy-eyed bewilderment in the middle of one sleepless night after another wondering how long this can go on.

The answer is, apparently, FOREVER. Or at least until I remember she has asthma and procure for her a "red zone" inhaler. Duh.

And of course, I get sick, too.

So after 11 (child) and 7 (me) days being sick, we finally visit the Urgent Care center - where she gets a new inhaler - that it turns out she's allergic to - and I get diagnosed with Pink Eye.

Oh, life is grand, isn't it?

At this moment, I am not feeling too bad, except that my ribs are aching and I have a pulled muscle in my shoulder blade region from all my excruciating hours of hacking my lungs out last night. Ugh. It is a dry, very useless, wracking cough that makes me wet myself attractively and nearly pass out from lack of oxygen. Yes, darlings, I will admit to living the life of high glamour.

Despite living in the sick house of near-death-by-upper-respiratory-infection for the past two weeks, I actually managed to hit my NaNoWriMo goal of 50,000 words - yesterday. Whew. I'm not sure I've ever finished early before.

I will say - it wasn't stressful at all. It was mostly a matter of using my writing time productively - i.e. I only got lost on YouTube once, and I only stalked Anne Rice's FB page once (I'm not even going to tell you what I stumbled upon that involves frozen balloons and male body parts - and you should be grateful).

So I have captured my writer-bug again, and for that, I am grateful.

But on the days that I was quivering at death's door, I had an opportunity to do things that I assume non-writers do on a regular basis: Watch movies and read books.




I watched The Man in the Iron Mask. Twice. Because I love it so much. It has fancy duds. It has loyalty, and code. It has suffering, betrayal, and redemption. And, as a bonus, it has extra-super-melodramatic dialogue that is perfect for the film.

Aramis: When we were young men and we saw injustice, we fought it.

D'Artagnan: Now we know that some problems cannot be solved with a sword.
Athos: And some cannot be solved without one.

~

D'Artagnan: You cannot ask me to betray my king. I have sworn an oath.

Athos: When a king is dishonorable, you are removed from your oath of honor.

D'Artagnan: An oath is an oath precisely because it cannot be removed.

Athos: Why do you follow him, D'Artagnan? Why? What we fought for is greater than king or rank or reward! What do you fight for now?

D'Artagnan: I fight for the belief that every man can be better, even Louis.

~

Athos: What gives you the right to judge me, to play God with the lives of others? Is it because you're so much holier than everyone else?

Aramis: Well yes, there is that. But also because I'm more intelligent than anybody else.

Watch the trailer for more awesome lines from the script. And as an additional treat, the trailer is narrated by the movie voice guy. Or maybe Pablo Franscisco, who does such a great impersonation of movie voice guy that sometimes he gets hired for it.

{{{{Ahhhhh, happy sigh.}}}}}

 Let's see... I also watched Madascar 3 (...afro circus, afro circus, polka dot polka dot polka dot... afro!)

And I ALSO watched, half-heartedly, The Three Stooges.

I mentioned that I read books, right? Oh yes, indeedy, I did.

I read Finding Zach by Rowan Speedwell. It was an angst-filled book, and I was obsessed with it until I finished reading. I'm a sucker for a kidnap story. Here's the blurb:

For five years, Zach Tyler, son of one of the world’s richest software moguls, was held hostage, tortured, and abused. When he is rescued at last from the Venezuelan jungle, he is physically and psychologically shattered, but he slowly begins to rebuild the life he should have had before an innocent kiss sent him into hell.

His childhood best friend David has lived those years with overwhelming guilt and grief. Every relationship David has tried has fallen apart because of his feelings for a boy he thought dead. When Zach is rescued, David is overjoyed—and then crushed when Zach shuts him out.

Two years later, David returns home, and he and Zach must come to terms with the rift between them, what they feel for each other, and what their future could hold. But Zach has secrets, and one of them might well destroy their fragile love.


I also read a free preview of Poison Princess by Kresley Cole. I was just as obsessed with this one. Unfortunately, I ran into a glitch. The free preview gave me something like the first 22 chapters - and I, being the dunderhead that I've been lately, didn't realize that it wasn't the whole book. So when I ran out of book abruptly, I was like, "Gah? WTF?" and when I went to Amazon to buy "the rest" of the book, I discovered that Simon and Schuster wanted a WHOPPING $9.99 for "the rest of the story."

Say what? You're going to give me over half the book, and then charge me $10 for the last few chapters? Well, guess what I have to say to Simon and Schuster about that? Fuck you, that's what. You greedy bastards.

I mean, don't get me wrong - the story was unfolding quite nicely, and I was very intrigued with the role of the Tarot, and I loved, loved, loved the Cajun swamp character, Jackson, and his Cajun French and swamp-speak and all... but still.

I generally will not pay more than 5.99 for an ebook, for reasons I've discussed here and here in the past.

Anywhoo. Now I keep an eye on my library and wait.

Let's see... I know there were some other things I read...

Ooh! The Vampire Queen's Servant by Joey W. Hill. I must have found it on sale or something, because I'm pretty sure I would not have paid $7.99 for an unknown author's erotica. But it was actually damn hot. DAMN not. Unfortunately, this is book 1 in a series that actually seems to become more and more expensive - from $9.99 to $12.99 -I mean, I know that well-written pussy-juicing erotica is hard to find - but ack! $12.99 for a kindle file? I don't think so.

But Jacob is hot. And the fact that being submissive is really hard for him is extra hot. I don't know why, I guess I'm just dirty-minded that way.

I also ready Joey W. Hill's Board Resolution - not terribly realistic, kind of a high-fantasy, fuck-for-hours sort of thing - but yeah, that was hot, too.

So I guess I'd recommend Joey W. Hill as an erotica writer - if you're willing to pay the big bucks.

All right, that's all I've got for now. I was going to do a whole list of Holiday things I'd do if I wasn't a writer - like bake Christmas cookies, make ice lanterns, put Christmas lights on the house (I'll be lucky if I even get the tree up before Dec. 20), send out Christmas cards, get my shopping done early...

But I am a writer. Which means I'll be doing the last minute Christmas scramble, as usual.

Have a great weekend, darlings!

~SM

2 comments:

  1. .afro circus, afro circus, polka dot polka dot polka dot... afro!! My kids walk around singing this all the time...still weeks after watching the movie! (Now it's stuck in my head...thanks :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee Hee, Rissa, sorry! It's stuck in my head ALL THE TIME. My husband's ring tone is what we call "the clown car song" - which is the polka dot afro tune. Aarrrggghhh! Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete