Thursday, December 6, 2012

SM Johnson ~Thursday Morning Coffee ~ What I read

Good morning, darlings!

My Kindle has about 100 books on it waiting to be read, and my Amazon wish list has about 100 more. So this morning I thought I would share with ya'all how I find all these books.

Other than the "Amazon recommends" lists, most of the books I buy or add to my wish list come from book review blogs. There's nothing cooler than finding reviewers who seem to like what I like in books. And I really love finding reviewers who DISLIKE the same things as I. They tell me what to avoid. But overall, book reviewers go a long way toward helping me decide what to read.

I'm not saying the review blogs I follow are the same ones everyone should follow - I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to drive traffic to these particular blogs, mainly because I enjoy each of them - but your taste often won't be my taste.

If you want help choosing your next read, I urge you to find some book blogs. The best way to do this, I think, is to look for positive reviews for a book you really liked, and see if any of those reviews were written by a book blogger. It's at least one way to find reviewer-bloggers with who share your taste in books. Then you can sit back and let them blaze the trail.

Let me tell you - these people amaze me. I love to read, and have been a bookworm all of my life, and I do make an effort to write reviews that I post on Amazon and Goodreads, but I've got nothing on these folks. Even when I love a book, I'm don't always have the ability to communicate what I loved about ir in a coherent way.

Oh, sure, I can WRITE a book - but writing about a book in a critical but positive (because I don't usually take the time to write reviews of books I hate) way leaves me finger-tied (versus tongue-tied). I find myself writing things like, "I really, really liked this book."

So here are the book bloggers that I follow, the people who are to blame for the 100 books waiting on my Kindle:  (I'll be adding icons, buttons, or banner URL's, pending permission from the individual bloggers).




Dear Author - A romance review blog for readers by readers














I Like These Books - Reviews of YA books, multiple genres


Kimba the "caffeinated Book Reviewer" - Where the coffee is always hot and the reviews honest.


Fangs, Wands & Fairy Dust - The paranormal in fiction, film and popular culture considered from an adult POV.













Wicked Li'l Pixie - Reviewing paranormal romance and urban fantasy.



Big Al's Books & Pals - Reviews and more from the world of the Kindle. (Focus on Indie authors)

3 comments:

  1. One hundred books on the kindle? Try 600 plus more in a TBR library in Calibre, plus I still buy more and pick up freebies. The books will outlast me.

    Anyhow, visiting from Erotic Enchants and the Above The Dungeon looks interesting to me so I've add it to the Want To Read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Leilani, I would feel stress if I had that much waiting to be read! I know how hard it is to resist buying more, though. I never go anywhere without my Kindle, a paperback, or a notebook. Thanks for commenting - I hope you enjoy Above the Dungeon (when you get to it - lol).

    ReplyDelete