Saturday, March 9, 2013

SM Johnson ~Three in the Dungeon cover ~

available at istock photo
Oooh! I'm so excited! I've been working on a cover for Three in the Dungeon, and although it almost seemed too "easy" - I love the simplicity of what I came up with.

It was also the, hmm... maybe 5th cover I've designed using a free graphic design program called GIMP, and for the first time ever, I didn't have to refer to a tutorial! I'm very proud of myself, hee.

All right, meet Roman Preston! (okay, it's not actually Roman, just a model who quite beautifully represents my vision of Roman). Nice disclaimer, huh?

I had several ideas for the cover - I knew that I wanted some black and white contrast, to keep the 3 books looking like a cohesive set... I also initially wanted some BDSM symbolism, and at least a dash of the color red... so I spent a bunch of hours browsing Bigstock Photo and iStock Photo sites, downloading sample images (like the one above) that I could stare at and just... I don't know, get them dancing around in my creative brain. I'm much more of a word artist that a visual media artist, but sometimes just the browsing for images is inspirational.

At one point, I was looking for 3 or more models, to represent not only Roman, but Jeff and Jason, and even Vanessa... but, frankly, the learning curve of melding/merging three or more images - eeeek! I know I CAN do it (am capable), because I merged my own picture of the chain with an istock photo on for the Out of the Dungeon cover. But we'll get to that.

While browsing, I ran into some photos I hadn't seen before, but had the same model I liked for books one and two. Gotta say, I'm kind of a sucker for continuity. So... it just felt right to play with those pics first.

Because I was using downloaded samples, I put together a quick and rough mock-up, and....

Truth? Kinda loved it.

So late late LATE last night (4 am this morning, actually), I made the commitment and purchased the photo. Not the one above, but a similar one... and then today I put the sucker together.

Ready?  (drum roll, please....)



Yeah, I kind of love it.

I changed the font color of my name on Above the Dungeon, as well, so I might be uploading a new version of that one, as well. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a GIMP copy of Out of the Dungeon, so if I want to change the color of my author name, I'll have to re-build it from scratch, and it was the more complicated (merging 2 images), so I'm not sure when/ if I'll be motivated to get it done.

So here's books one and two, for comparison:




And now I'm off to bed, because I have worn myself out!

Hope your weekend is being awesome, darlings!

1 comment: