Thursday, June 27, 2013

SM Johnson ~Thursday Morning Coffee ~ Something to Believe in

Good morning, my darlings! Welcome to This Makes Complete (sense)... To More Congruence. Or Think More Coherently.

Or just.... Thursday Morning Coffee. Yes. Go, pour yourself a cup. I'll wait, because we're going to get a little bit serious this morning.

It's a good week, in some respects. DOMA was invalidated yesterday June 26, 2013. Read the details from Huffington Post.


Per Wikipedia: The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) (Pub.L. 104–199, 110 Stat. 2419, enacted September 21, 1996, 1 U.S.C. § 7and 28 U.S.C. § 1738C) is a United States federal law that allows states to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed under the laws of other states. Until a portion of the Act (Section 3) was ruled unconstitutional in 2013, DOMA (in conjunction with various other statutes) had also effectively barred same-sex married couples from receiving federal marriage benefits.



The other thing that happened was the California Supreme Court washed its hands of Prop 8, which will likely resume the right of gay people to marry in California. Want to know more? Here's a "lite" explanation from NBC Politics.

And do you know what Senator Wendy Davis (D-TX) pulled off? Check out the story on CNN. What, wait a minute, Republicans lost in TEXAS? Damn. Wendy, you're not just good, you are BRILLIANT. Keep on, lady. I tip my hat to you in a most honorable salute.

I'm not really going to talk about these things, however. I'm going to talk about having something to believe in...



Queue the music....


I am neither religious nor political. I long to see big change in this flawed system of capitalism, but mostly feel a tremendous sense of hopelessness that I would see such change in my lifetime. This system keeps the rich richer while keeping the poor poor - it ensures that there will always be a steady pool of cheap labor available to keep others comfortable. It is ugly. Our social reform doesn't seem to reform much. Welfare to Work is a joke in a system that penalizes dollar for dollar and offers few ways for people to actually get ahead of all the stupid life events that happen to all of us, all the time. A broken car, a sick pet, an illness that results in lost work time.

When my daughter's friend eschews college as "just more homework" and aspires to work at Walmart, "because they have everything there" - I want to cry over her sweet little head, just for a minute, and then bitch-slap the people teaching her to think this way.

In a non-related discussion last night with a friend I like, trust, and have a huge amount of respect for... there came a comment - a jinx, really... which I'll paraphrase loosely in a he said/she said kind of way: One comment was "it's very black and white," and the other, "at base, it's so f-ing simple."

Yes.

You. Know.

You know the difference between right and wrong.

In your heart, in your soul, in your conscience, in your mind - conscious mind, sub-conscious mind, and probably even your unconscious mind.

Awake, asleep, sober, inebriated....You. Know.

Should a child be abused or neglected?

Is is okay to force (or manipulate) someone to have sex with you, even if they dress like they're "asking for it" ?

Do you have the right to tell someone else what they're allowed to do with their body?

Should you be the judge of who someone can and cannot fall in love with?

Is it okay to torture an animal just because you're at the top of the food chain?

Should an insurance company or a doctor or, god forbid, the GOVERNMENT have control over whether you do or do not choose to procreate?

Should a human being be tied to a fence post and left to die because they believe in something different than someone bigger and stronger and meaner?

See? I wasn't being facetious. You do know.

Our societal systems are large, and our societal problems even larger, and yes, it's difficult to be an activist when you don't have noticeable amounts of money to throw at the problem, or most of your time is taken up working just to hang onto your place in this broken society.

I know. I get it. I'm there, too.

But here's what you can do, every single day.

Be kind to your fellow human beings. Yes, this is easy with the ones who are kind to you, or at the very least, those who allow you to exist in peace. Still, make an effort to be kind to all of them. Walk away rather than exchange insults. Choose to not socialize with people who push your buttons and piss you off, because surely you have better things to do.

Help those who need help, by doing what you can.

Once I was on a trolley with a man who was clearly disorganized, very probably schizophrenic. No one else on the trolley wanted to see this man, and so they looked away. He was carrying a plastic bag filled mostly with canned goods, and one of the handles slipped through his fingers, causing canned food to roll away, down the aisle, between people's feet. No one saw this, because no one wanted to see this.

I saw. I made eye contact, smiled, and chased down errant canned goods, handing them to him one by one as I managed to retrieve them.

I was riding the trolley from one place to another - it's not like I had anything pressing to do. And neither did anyone else. But they didn't help. I did.

Love. Love your family, love your children, your pets, your friends, people you admire. Spread it around. Funny how, when you give your love away, your heart gets bigger. Try it. You might be surprised.

Just... make the small parts of the world that you touch kinder, gentler places to be.

It might take effort. It might take thought. It will certainly, at times, take self-control.

Dare yourself to do it anyway.




My darlings, I hope the sun shines on you this weekend, and that wherever you may be, you have fun, play safe, and never, ever drink and drive. Don't text and drive, either, 'cause it's equally dangerous. No cab fare or text message could ever be worth someone's life. Keep it in perspective, you know?

Peace out.

~SM Johnson

4 comments:

  1. THIS post, is exactly what I needed today. It is NOT easy being an activist.
    "The opposite of love, is a need for it." That came to me out of misunderstood lyrics, the actual lyrics are good, but I like this mix up better =) I like to remind myself of this when it's hard to be kind to someone who is unkind, or unloving. Sometimes the rudest person, just really, really needs to be loved.
    <3 hope you have a wonderful weekend SM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Nicole. It's lovely to hear when I've come up with a topic that resonates with someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this one somehow...really nice. I got it (almost) a week late, but it still managed to be what I needed to hear. Hope your weekend was lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly fine, JC. I'm glad you like.

    ReplyDelete