Thursday, December 5, 2013

SM Johnson - Whoops!

Good morning, Darlings. Here we are, Thursday noon, and I forgot to invite ya'll over for coffee. My bad. In my defense.... snow snow work snow snow snow snow snow snow snow snow. No school. Snow. Snow. Snow. No school again. Snow snow snow. And finally, sunshine. And COLD.

It continues to be difficult to fathom why we still live here, but whatever. This is winter.

I have a hodgepodge of thoughts to share today, so bear with me as I topic jump.



I didn't "win" NaNoWriMo this year... but I did write 30,000 words on two different books. The fourth Dungeon book, Dare in the Dungeon, apparently isn't ready to be written down yet, so forcing myself to march words across pages was a pretty slow process. But as soon as I switched to Julian Out Of The World I couldn't STOP writing. Go figure. Writing books can be funny that way. I feel like I'm moving away from "pure" erotica (pure meaning it's primary purpose is to get you wet) into some deeper, darker stuff that yes, might still be more or less erotica, but will be more than that, too. And these are the stories that are scratching around inside my head, begging me to let them crawl into the light. Jeremiah Quick. Julian Out Of The World. Angel. Stuff where the plotting is a good bit more internal than external. Books with theme and horror and non-consent and things not always being pretty, and where Happily Ever After is an elusive, and perhaps mythical, creature. I'd would have liked to give my readers Dare in the Dungeon this coming spring, but it looks like Jeremiah Quick will be my next published work. Shooting for a February release.





Now, December. This is my "vacation" month. After doing NaNo, hosting Thanksgiving, November ends and it's time to gear up for the holiday season and all of that related busy-ness. So this December I'm purposefully giving myself a break from the pressure of expecting myself to accomplish much writing-wise. One of my goals is to catch up on all the TV that I've missed. My list of "things to watch" is insanely long, and I have a hard time "letting" myself indulge, so I just made a decision that December sucks ass in so many ways, that it's a good month to catch up on visual entertainment. This week I watched season one of Breaking Bad, and I definitely intend to watch ALL the seasons before December ends.

Also on my list is to enjoy more Doctor Who, Farscape, American Horror Story (Coven as well as seasons one and two), maybe taste Sons of Anarchy. I'm sure there's more. I've never seen a single episode of The Office, or The Walking Dead, or you know, pretty much anything that other than Showtime and HBO series, which my husband sort of keeps me up on. (Weeds, Dexter, True Blood, the Newsroom, Boardwalk Empire, The Big C - those I tend to see. I also see see ALL of the Disney shows, over and over and over and over - so it's not like I don't watch TV, it's more like I hardly ever get to watch adult TV.

But hey, I did see season one of Orange is the New Black.

There's just so much. It's hard to keep up, especially when I'm starting 3 or 4 or 5 seasons behind EVERYONE ELSE (grin).

All right. So there's my December plan.



All right, on to what I'm reading.


Primary at the moment is Kit Rocha's Beyond series. These are beautifully written dystopian erotica, with fully fleshed out characters and a well-developed dystopian world. Sexy as hell. Not all about the sex, but whoa, the sex. Hot. I highly recommend. One of the things I appreciate about these books, besides great characters and great writing, is the presence of a female cast of characters who support one another. There's a lot of sex in these books, and a lot of menage, but hardly any catty bitchiness. I adore it. Maybe just because I get so damn TIRED of women hating each other or competing with one another for a man's attention. Probably why I read a lot more M/M fiction than M/F fiction. But these are definitely worth reading.

Another book I've read recently is Jumpstart the World by Catherine Ryan Hyde. This book has been nominated for a couple of Lambda Literary Awards, among other awards, and it's just a lovely story, a tender tale of a young girl's crush on an older transman, and her confusion and discomfort about what it means about herself. It's more of a coming of age story than a romance, but the author deftly handled so many difficult issues - I'm still being a little bit blown away, to be honest. This one I recommend for teenagers and adults.

I'm sort of winding my way through some books featuring trans characters, just to get an idea of what's out there and how writers are portraying transgender people and situations. Jumpstart the World did a phenomenal job of having a non-activist trans character, who was not the protagonist, be present to demonstrate that trans people are just people, like the rest of us - but also this author managed to show in simple but clear ways some of the frightening things about being trans. The fear of friends leaving, the fear of being helpless. And all of this without direct trans character POV, all of this without the sense of the reader being taught to or lectured.




Personal stuff... hmm. Our 10 year old dog (a boxer) is getting old and slowing down. Kyle the snake is eating regularly and more or less on a schedule. Jury's still out on if we should release him in the spring, or if we're ruining him for that by providing "food from the sky." At least it's live food, right? The cat is still his same aloof self. He looked particularly disgusted when he wanted to go outside and found all this cold white stuff, not just on the porch, but EVERYWHERE else. (Grins a little, poor kitty). The husband, our offspring, and myself are hale and healthy and busy.

PSA (public service announcement): Just an FYI - I know relationships are difficult, and it's really tough when a relationship ends when you really don't want it to. But sending suicidal texts and videos in order to force your ex to either a) talk to you, or b) leave you alone - is just a terrible idea. It can land you in the hospital, sometimes for DAYS, and gives the other person some interesting (if below the belt) ammunition for custody battles, restraining orders, etc. Please save our hospital crisis beds for people who are actually in danger of harming themselves or others, and DO NOT DO THIS, k? Thx. And honestly - why would you want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with YOU? Blackmailing someone to talk to you or not break up with you isn't love, capiche? Yeah, broken love sucks. We survive, even if sometimes we don't want to. The thing to remember is that there are an endless number of wonderful, fascinating, loving, amazing people in the world, and you never know when you're going to meet the next person who's going to be really important to you. It could happen any minute. Might happen faster if you're not obsessively chasing your ex, the one person you already KNOW doesn't want to be with you. So stop doing that, and open yourself up to new possibilities. Lecture over. Peace out, Darlings.

~SM

No comments:

Post a Comment