Tuesday, March 21, 2017

SM Johnson ~ What to read?


Good Evening, my dear Darklings.

The first couple of reviews of Aftermath are in... a bit mixed, which isn't terribly surprising. I love all my boys, but there are new characters knocking around the inside of my head, and it's definitely time to make room for them. Readers waited nearly TWO YEARS for Aftermath, which shocked me to realize. It hasn't felt like two years to me, although a heck of a lot of life stuff got in my way over the past eighteen months. Some of it so bad it rattled me to the core, but some of it so good I couldn't have dreamed it up in any of my imaginings.

The Dungeon crew won't disappear into oblivion - a few of them have already made an appearance in Nervous, my work-in-progress, so never fear, dear readers, you'll get to peek in on them now and again.

I'm struggling to find good books to read. I know, what's new, right? I've always been picky and hard to please as a reader, and I'm not sure what the deal is lately, but it's a struggle. If you check my 2017 reading list (right-hand tab) you'll see a ton of DNFs. I typically link to Goodreads, and sometimes I peruse reviews at that time, and it's always a surprise when I DNF something it seems like absolutely everyone in the world loved.

So either I'm a  picky bitch, or it's possible my reading tastes are changing.

M/F romance can hardly hold my attention at all. But I've even touched on a couple of well-written M/M stories that have just been a "meh" and an eyeroll before I give up on them. There was one where I was 80% into the book, and realized I was bored out of my mind!

Weird.

I know some readers push through to the end no matter what, but I don't have time for that. So there will be a lot of DNFs, I guess, and that's how that works.

So anyway. Here's a short list of the authors who are holding my attention lately....

JC Andrijeski (always and every book!)
James Osiris Baldwin's Alexi Sokolsky supernatural thriller series
Matthew Iden's Marty Singer mysteries
Kit Rocha's Beyond series
Alessandra Hazard's Straight Guys series (although some are a bit short)
Melissa F. Miller's Sasha McCandless legal thriller series
Lori Sjoberg's Grave series
Edmond Manning's Lost and Found Kings series

I'm testing and tasting outside my genre these days, to be sure, but the above at least always give me a "go to" read when I'm tired of being disappointed.

Perhaps it's my new and improved crazy, busy life.

Spring is here - which means more daylight and increased energy.

It may be time to sit back and just breathe...

2 comments:

  1. Dear Author, I would like to thank for the pleasure to see again all my guys from the Dungeon series. It has become a wonderful book. Thank you very much, Katerina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete